JamMK header

JamMK header

Thursday 15 November 2018

Day 15 Pumpkin Challenge - Vegetable Rolls

I love a sausage roll. I also love a vegetarian sausage roll. Having a vegetarian sausage roll recipe in your repertoire can be really useful on occasions, particularly if you have a family gathering and need to whip up a buffet that will feed everyone.

I invented these vegetable rolls a few years ago for one such occasion and much to my surprise everyone in my family enjoyed them. This is such a rare thing that I did a small happy dance and immediately wrote down the recipe before I forgot it!

They are easy to adapt too to suit taste and requirements. My eldest daughter likes to add a bit of chipotle sauce to the recipe to add a bit of a smoky bite. For my vegan step-daughter I use nutritional yeast instead of cheese and glaze with soya milk. They freeze really well before cooking too so they can be made ahead and just cooked from frozen, making them a very convenient addition to your buffet or picnic.

Vegetable Rolls

1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
1 onion
1 carrot
100-150g fresh pumpkin
1 raw beetroot
1 large cup-mushroom
1-2 garlic cloves
1 slice bread - crumbed
Dried herbs, soy sauce, nutmeg, salt & pepper
50g mature Cheddar (or 1 tsp nutritional yeast)

Prepare and finely chop or grate the vegetables then fry them for 5-10 minutes until soft. Towards the end of cooking, add the seasoning, herbs, nutmeg and soy sauce. Tip into a bowl then add the breadcrumbs and grated Cheddar. Mix and leave to cool. Cut the pastry sheet in half lengthwise and spread the filling along the middle of each piece. Brush the long edge of each piece with milk or egg then roll up. Glaze the top of each roll then cut into suitable sized length. Freeze for later or cook at 200°C for 20 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment