JamMK header

JamMK header

Saturday 22 August 2015

Courgette Bread Rolls

At this time of year when the courgette glut seems to grow daily, I am always keen to find new ways to make use of courgettes and all the better if I can't actually tell it has courgette in it! Don't get me wrong, I do like eating courgettes and find them particularly tasty if lightly fried with mushrooms and garlic. However, when you have several pounds of the things to work with, it is nice to not taste every ounce. They are, of course, an essential chutney ingredient too so never go to waste but it is fun finding ways to include them in bakes.

I made a batch of my favourite chocolate and courgette muffins a couple of days ago and when I bit into the gorgeous moist and crumbly texture I wondered what else might benefit from the addition of courgette. I remembered reading a courgette bread recipe in my bread machine recipe book so I had a google and got a few ideas then today gave it a go. Whilst the bread machine was busy doing its thing, I used a marrow (overgrown courgette) in a batch of piccalilli and made a lemon, courgette and pistachio cake ready for Steve's birthday tomorrow.

Later, as the bread rolls were cooling on a rack, I called my girls in for their afternoon snack - a drink and a chocolate courgette muffin. These muffins have been a regular feature on their summer menu for many years so they are totally cool with the idea that their cakes will probably contain grated vegetable. Besides, there is no denying that they are absolutely delicious. As she munched on her muffin, my eldest said, "These muffins have got courgette in them, right?"

I looked around at the various results of a busy day in the kitchen and said, "Actually, Love, absolutely everything has got courgette in it!"

The bread rolls with lovely, by the way. There was nothing to suggest that they contained courgette and, indeed, they were indistinguishable from my usual bread rolls - crusty on the outside and soft and springy on the inside. To be honest, I would question the point of adding the courgette as it did not improve the bread but given that it didn't detract from its usual quality either, I guess you could argue that they are nutritionally better and my kitchen is 6 oz of courgette lighter than it was before I made them!



Courgette Bread Rolls (makes 8)

2 fl oz water
2 1/2 fl oz milk
13 oz strong white flour
3 oz strong malted flour (granary flour)
6 oz peeled weight of grated courgette
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 oz butter
1 1/2 tsp yeast

Place all the ingredients into the bread machine in the appropriate order and set to dough. It is worth hanging around to check on the dough as it mixes in case you need to adjust the flour/liquid levels because the courgette will add an unknown amount of moisture so it might be a bit sticky or a bit dry. Once the dough is ready, turn it out onto a floured surface and knock it back. Cut into 8 equal portions and shape into rolls. Place on a greased baking sheet, well spaced out and cover with oiled clingfilm. Leave to rise for about an hour then bake for 20-25 minutes at 200°C/gas 6 until golden. Don't forget to throw some water into the bottom of the oven when you put them into the oven to make it nice and steamy. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment