JamMK header

JamMK header

Monday 4 May 2015

Rhubarb & Ginger Crumble

I've got a lovely crop of rhubarb this year and, to be quite honest, there is only so much Rhubarb and Ginger Jam I want to make. So, rather than jamming it all, I've been looking around for other things to do with it. I have stuck some in my dehydrator and made rhubarb fruit leather, I've made lollies as suggested by Hugh from River Cottage and I've even tried some rhubarb and custard cake. Nonetheless, there is nothing simpler than rhubarb crumble so I decided to make a batch of this at the weekend, with a little added ginger for flavoursome depth.

Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble (serves 4)

1 lb (450g) rhubarb
50g caster sugar
2 tsp syrup out of a jar of stem ginger
3 oz (85g) butter
2 oz (55g) wholemeal flour
2 oz (55g) oats
2 oz (55g) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Preheat oven to 200°C, gas 6. Cut the rhubarb into chunks and toss in a bowl with the caster sugar. Tip to rhubarb onto a lipped baking tray and level to a single layer. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool then spoon into the bottom of 1 or 2 suitable containers and add the ginger syrup. In a bowl, rub the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, ginger and butter with finger tips to form crumbs. Spoon the crumble mixture over the rhubarb and level off. The crumble can be frozen at this point or baked in the oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot with custard.



No comments:

Post a Comment