JamMK header

JamMK header

Monday 17 January 2022

Cheese & Pumpkin Flapjacks

I cut into the biggest of our homegrown pumpkins yesterday. It did appear to be storing perfectly even though it was harvested three months ago but at some point it will start to rot and I wanted to use it whilst still in good condition. Of course, once you cut into a pumpkin you have to use it up quickly so I already had plans to make a couple of chutneys and some other delights.

Late on Sunday afternoon, as I washed up the chutney pan, I began to contemplate packed lunches for Monday. We have our shopping delivered on Tuesdays so the hideous Hovis white bread that my eldest chooses to eat is always a bit iffy for sandwiches by Monday so if possible Monday packed lunches don't feature sandwiches.

I was just contemplating whipping up a batch of couscous when I remembered the savoury flapjacks I had made last year. I couldn't remember the recipe so I had a quick Google. That failed to find the recipe I was thinking of but threw up a whole bunch of other savoury flapjack recipes and that led me to start conjuring up my own ideas.

Just in time for the Sunday roast to go in, the flapjacks came out of the oven. We each had a small taster piece on our plates at dinner time just to check that they would meet with approval and then this morning they were duly packed into lunchboxes.

Cheese & Pumpkin Flapjacks

100g butter
1 generous tbsp Bovril (or Marmite)
250g porridge oats
250g raw pumpkin, grated
2 tbsp milled flaxseed
100g mature Cheddar, grated
2 large eggs, beaten
Dried herbs
2 tbsp sunflower seeds

Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas 4 and grease and tin a 20 cm square baking tin.  Melt the butter in a large bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds then add the Bovril and microwave for another 30 seconds. Add the oats, flaxseed, and grated pumpkin and stir to combine. Add the cheese, eggs, herbs and seeds and stir again until well mixed. Tip into the tin and press down with wetted fingers to level out. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin then cut into 12 pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment