JamMK header

JamMK header

Sunday 18 November 2018

Pumpkin Challenge Day 18 - Pumpkin Doughnut Bites

It is hard to beat the satisfaction of biting into a freshly baked doughnut but it probably isn't something you should do every day. I like to ration my doughnut making to those odd occasions when I have a suitable leftover. Mash potatoes, for example, makes an excellent addition to a doughnut recipe. And so too does pumpkin puree.

I made pumpkin doughnut bites the other day just at the point when my girls were returning from school. They noticed the smell immediately then hung around in the kitchen, telling me about their day, whilst I fried the dough.

Once ready they set upon the plate like a swarm of hungry piranhas. I don't know if piranhas ever regret their greed but a few minutes later my girls were groaning and just 3 doughnut bits remained on the plate. Oh well, they are best eaten fresh.

Pumpkin Doughnut Bites

225g plain flour
110g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp salt
180g pumpkin puree
1 egg
25g melted butter

Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, spice and salt. In another bowl, mix together the pumpkin, egg and butter. Combine the dry and wet ingredients. Heat a good depth of oil in a frying pan or wok until hot. Drop heaped teaspoons of batter into the oil and fry in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Roll in caster sugar and eat whilst fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment