JamMK header

JamMK header

Sunday 25 November 2018

Day 25 Pumpkin Challenge - Sticky Toffee Pudding

Because my step-daughter is vegan, I have to make vegan meals every now and then when she comes over for dinner. As we always have a variety of home baked goods on offer for dessert, it seems only appropriate to have a vegan dessert to hand too on these occasions.

It was a few years ago when I first made her a sticky toffee pudding. As well as being suitable for vegans, it ticks a few boxes on the "healthy" dessert list too and it tastes so great that I make it on occasions even when she isn't coming for dinner just because we like it so much.

Originally, I used my Pear and Vanilla Jam in the recipe. 55g of that went into the cake and the other half of the jar was used as a glaze. This worked well but I don't always have this flavour of jam available. I discovered that 55g of pumpkin puree in the cake and a glaze of date syrup worked even better than the jam version so this is the version I make at this time of year when I have pumpkin puree to hand.

Whether you a vegan or not, this is a cake well worth making - it feels so indulgent even though it isn't.

Sticky Toffee Pudding (Vegan)

250g dates
2 tbsp ground linseed
300ml soya milk
200ml vegetable oil
175g dark muscovado sugar
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp mixed spice
55g pumpkin puree
Date syrup or jam to glaze

Put the dates, linseed and milk in a saucepan and simmer for 2-3 minutes until soft. Put in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add oil and blend again. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease and line
a 20 x 30 cm baking tin. Put dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well, breaking up the sugar. Add the date mixture and pumpkin puree and stir well. Pour into the tin and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove
from oven  then glaze with warmed syrup or jam. Serve hot or cold with dairy-free custard or oat creme fraiche.



No comments:

Post a Comment