JamMK header

JamMK header

Saturday 10 November 2018

Pumpkin Challenge Day 10 - Pumpkin Ice-cream

It was way back in 2009 when I saw something written by James Martin in a magazine suggesting stirring pumpkin puree through vanilla ice-cream. I thought at the time that he had lost the plot but on further consideration it sounded like it had potential. I remember that when I googled it later that day, I discovered something like 250,000 hits for pumpkin ice-cream. Out of curiosity I have just googled it again and today I got 114,000,000 hits! It clearly isn't as unusual as I first imagined.

The one thing about pumpkin is that it goes very well with spices such as ginger and cinnamon. I think vanilla is a bit wish-washy to go with pumpkin so I never did bother to test out the James Martin idea of stirring pumpkin puree through vanilla ice-cream. Instead, I found a recipe that included cinnamon, ginger and pumpkin I decided to give it a go and we have been eating it as a seasonal ice-cream ever since.

It makes an interesting ice-cream, unlike anything you are likely to find in the shops. As you can imagine, the spices are the dominate flavour with a slight toffee flavour from the sugar. No hint of pumpkin, in case you are wondering. It is the perfect thing to dollop next to a hot winter pudding such as apple pie or sticky toffee pudding.

Pumpkin Ice-cream

450g fresh pumpkin
300ml whipping cream
120g light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Pinch of salt

Peel and chop the pumpkin then steam until soft. Mash until a smooth puree is formed. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend for about a minute until well mixed. Pour into suitable containers and put in the freezer. Take out of the freezer after 2-3 hours and whip up with a fork to break up the ice crystals before returning to the freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment