JamMK header

JamMK header

Monday 30 June 2014

Indulgent Strawberry Chocolate Desserts

We've got into a sort of routine on a Saturday morning which I'm coming to rather enjoy. My husband takes my youngest daughter out to her dance class, leaving me at home with my eldest daughter. Whilst I make a batch of jam, my eldest practices her guitar for a while then pulls out the "Colossal Cookie Cookbook" and decides which recipe she's going to make. With such an enormous book to work through, it'll be a while before we have the same thing twice!



Fortunately for her, I keep in my cupboard 6 different types of flour and 7 different types of sugar, along with a variety of other baking essentials so it doesn't matter too much which recipe she decides upon; we have probably got everything we need already. This week she was undecided between a triple chocolate chip cookie and a chocolate filled shortbread. Scanning the ingredients of both, I determined we had everything we needed for either recipes but the chocolate filled shortbread required double cream and the cream I had in the fridge was in need of using up before it went past its date so I suggested she made those and saved the triple chocolate chip cookies for next weekend - looking forward to that!

So, off she went and made the biscuits, which didn't turn out at all how they looked in the photo, mainly due to them spreading considerably more in the oven than suggested and completely losing the lovely heart shaped she'd carefully cut them into. Next she made the chocolate filling which was a straightforward case of gently heating up 5 tablespoons of double cream in a small pan and then melting 2 oz of dark chocolate into it. This produced a liquid not dissimilar to melted chocolate ice-cream but not all suitable for sandwiching between two biscuits. Despite no instructions in the recipe to do so, I decided that giving it a good whipping would create a spreadable texture. This worked and my daughter sandwiched her odd shaped biscuits together and then we popped them into the fridge. By the time we were ready for a snack in the middle of the afternoon, the biscuits were nicely chilled and stuck together perfectly.



We polished the biscuits off over the weekend but we hadn't needed all of the chocolate cream filling so I had put it into a container in the fridge. Today I took it out to examine it and found it had set to a lovely mousse consistency and this gave me an idea - a simple dessert with some fresh strawberries from the allotment. So, I gently reheated the creamy mix for a few seconds in the microwave and then poured it equally between two containers and popped them into the fridge to set whilst I went out to get some strawberries. I decided 4 strawberries would enough for these two little desserts so I washed them and sliced them. In a bowl I added a drop of hot water into a heaped teaspoon of some of the Strawberry & Vanilla Jam I had made on Saturday morning then added the sliced strawberries to this. Once the chocolate cream had chilled enough to return to its thick consistency, I spooned the strawberry mixture on top. Dead simple really but definitely not a health food despite the strawberries!


No comments:

Post a Comment