JamMK header

JamMK header

Saturday 6 April 2013

Jam filled croissants

My girls like freshly baked croissants for their lazy Sunday breakfast. Well, who wouldn't?! I do have a recipe for making croissants in my bread making recipe book and wow, what a palaver that is! When reading it I have visions of French bakers getting up at 3am in order to ensure they can get them made in time for their customers' breakfast. Delia Smith once said that life is too short to stuff a mushroom. Well, I do stuff mushrooms but life is definitely too short to make croissants from scratch!

I feel the same way about making puff pastry. Short crust pastry, yes, I can and do make that because it is simple, quick and tastes better than the ready-made stuff. Puff pastry, no, it's time consuming and fiddly and doesn't turn out as nicely as the shop-bought stuff. So for this I turn to a block of Jus-Rol. It was whilst re-stocking the puff pastry that I stumbled upon the whole range of other stuff that Jus-Rol now do, including croissants.

I remember as a kid buying an apple turnover kit in a similar cardboard tube and how when I began to unwrap the tube it suddenly popped its seams under dough pressure. It amused me then and I figured it would amuse my two girls too. So now, Sunday breakfast usually starts with the popping of a tube of dough. Then, once opened, the girls just need to separate the six pieces of dough and roll each one up before placing them on a baking tray for cooking. 15 minutes later they are tucking into hot croissants.

Then last week we decided to experiment and this time, after separating the pieces of dough, they spread each one with some jam first then rolled them up.  15 minutes later they were tucking into hot jammy croissants! Can't be bad!




No comments:

Post a Comment